Release Date: 04/17/2012
Christopher the Conquered has always been the primary outlet for the musical explorations of Iowa songwriter Chris Ford, but The Fate Of A Good Man marks an important moment in the evolution of the project, as it is the first album to feature a full band, with Ford staying firmly seated at The Piano. He’s backed strongly by The Black Gold Brass Band, which is featured heavily on the album, with songs arranged to rise and fall with the energy of the five-piece horn section. Joining them is a rhythm section built with bass, drums, and guitar, along with Ford’s keys.
You can download “Free to Try” and “Let Us Not Confuse Our Thoughts With Our Beliefs” here.
For this collection, Ford has written songs as he’s always written songs, using wit and humor to make startlingly real observations of his environment, both Within and Without. As You, the Listener, are no doubt a part of that environment, expect to find yourself placed squarely at the center of each song.
You Are The Good Man.
The difference here, and where The Fate Of A Good Man makes huge advances over Ford’s previous outings, is in the conciseness of the lyrics. When Words have said what they can say, he uses Sound to say the rest. Ford’s reliance on a strong backing band performing almost entirely live in the studio results in moments of spontaneous beauty and moments of downright weirdness, often at the same time; a prime example of the possibility of Sound.
Be ready to hear something New. Something that has been searching for you for quite a long time, and will be happy to finally be held in your arms. Expect to smile and maybe laugh. Perhaps you’ll cry, if you are the type that tends to do so.
Maximum Ames Records is truly ecstatic and proud to present, in the highest quality possible, another beautiful piece of Iowa Art: The Fate Of A Good Man.
The collectible vinyl version of the album comes with a bonus 7″ featuring two previously unreleased songs, recorded at The Pink Lady in Ames, Iowa, exclusively available with this release, as well as an autographed score of the chorale that opens the album. Each LP, produced on high quality virgin vinyl, also comes with a unique download code for a free digital version of the album. Why? Because we love you.
Both the LP and CD version of the album come in beautifully crafted packages, designed by Des Moines artist Avalan Wilson and featuring the photography and writings of Ames’ thinker Jerrod Jordahl.
You can also order a digital copy if that’s the way you like it. A unique download code will be sent to your email address, giving you access to 3 downloads of the album.
Songs Of The Pink Lady Bonus 7″ Tracklist:
- Knocked Around
- Conquered No More
– Josh Terzino, music-defined.com“Christopher the Conquered […] masterfully creates orchestrated, jazz-infused indie rock without sounding disorganized. The individual pieces flow in and out of each other with an organic vitality.” 4/5
– Brennen Gibson, The ReWind“One of the best things about Christopher the Conquered songs is their duality – how they can go from being serious or on the verge of darkness to making you laugh, sometimes even within the same verse. That quality is very much intact here, right from the beginning.”
– Bryon Dudley, amesprogressive.org“I wasn’t sure if [The Fate Of A Good Man] could possibly live up to all the hype I had built up for it in my mind and if all the new additions to the band would come across as the traditional Christopher the Conquered I had come to love and revere. […] there was a small chance that this could end up being just a complete bomb. It has happened before with even the best of artists. However, the level of dedication and ability this album and this band posses, well, there was just no way it was going to happen. Talent Trumps All.”
-Dave Murphy, desmoinesisnotboring.com
“The Fate of a Good Man is a triumph. [It] features tracks that are efficient: The lyrics lay the framework for each story, then get out of the way and let the music do its thing. The result might be one of the best things you hear this year.”
-Chad Taylor, dmcityview.com
“There’s just so much talent packed into these eight songs, so much attention and so much care, that it’s almost impossible to not discover something new upon every listen…you’ll see something brilliant and beautiful that has been criminally overlooked.”
-Max Johnson, KRUI
“The new release from Christopher the Conquered is so delightfully weird, you won’t be able to squelch the stupid grin you’ll be wearing as you’re sucked into Chris Ford’s universe.”
– Ann Klein, desmoinesmc.com
“Just got through my first listen of Fate of a Good Man, and I had a ‘Holy Shit’ reaction. I rarely have that anymore. Thanks for making a great fucking record.”
– Jeremy Hoffman, themilkcarton.com
“Christopher the Conquered and His Black Gold Brass Band lure you into their album The Fate of a Good Man with a musical whisper and secure you with their catchy piano melodies, ridiculously hummable horn lines, addicting breathy vocals, and strong rhythm section. Each song ranges from being a quiet, intimate conversation with a stripped-down piano and vocals to a bombastic horn-fueled assault–most songs have both. The point is, if you’re not listening to Christopher the Conquered and his Black Gold Brass Band right now you should stop what you’re doing and start.”
– KURE Music
Click here to sign up for our newsletter and always be up-to-date regarding this and our other upcoming releases! All subscribers also get the bonus of being automatically entered into give-aways, access to private online listening parties, and more!
The record comes with a download card packaged in it! You’ll use this to access your digital version. Thank you!